A Pumpkins Saga

A Pumpkins Saga is a Tale of Pumpkin. His journey through Life, his frustrations, joys and gives the reader a first hand acccount into his unusual way of looking at the world around him. And overall attitude towards the thing that he doesn't give a dammn for

Monday, May 30, 2005

The Price of Honesty

Sometimes I wonder, if it’s worth all the trouble.

I did not write yesterday (or is it type). I was too exhausted and overwhelmed by the events that took place yesterday. That was the day when my pleasant relations left for their respective destinations. Oh I love my relatives so when they are far away, but I can’t exactly say, I miss them so.


Thus after having cleaned up my whole house today and while relishing the joys of solitary existence I contemplated upon what happened, yesterday evening.


My father upon the instructions of my mother handed over to a laundry, a rather precious cape made up of the very expensive Pashmina Wool, for dry cleaning. Upon its arrival back, my mother was aghast to see its desecrated form. Not only did it appear to have lost its sheen, but also had all the color had spread across the fabric denigrating what was once a masterpiece of Kashmiri Artistry.

Enraged by this hideous malpractice of the Laundryman, I along with my brothers in arms- Varun, Nachiket and his brother in arm Harshad accosted the laundry owners son and apprised him of the fact that if he would refuse to pay me 8K’s – the present day price of the Cape, then I would be forced to take him to court and write about him in the News papers. The chap seemed visibly shaken and informed us that only his father who would be available on the morning of the coming Wednesday settle this matter out.

Today I sat and thought. I thought weather I would be paid the damages, weather taking the rascal to court would help me. Weather 8K’s are worth all the trouble.

I’ve been wronged, why should I have to take all the trouble to get it right? Why should I spend my precious time, energy, efforts and resources in the pursuit of something that could possibly have been a mistake on the part of the laundryman? It was a cape after all. Do I really need to press this on? Can’t I just let it go?

If I let go I’d be doing my conscience wrong. If I fight then I’d have to suffer anyway. Is this the price I pay for being honest? Upon introspection, I realized that I do have to pay a price for being honest, for standing up for what I believe in. Nothing, absolutely nothing can be achieved without paying a price for it.

The price I pay for being honest goes a long way in me getting the respect I deserve for being a man of standing, in front of my own eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home